Do you know that you can make your own potent home-made fly spray without essential oil? In this article, we will be showing you just how you can do this.
You might be used to using pesticides and insecticides made from essential oils to take care of your bug problems, but there are other ways to keep your home safe from insects. It is possible to run out of essential oil and as a result, can’t be able to make a quick bug spray when you need it the most. But with an alternative to essential oils, you can easily whip up something at the last minute.
We strongly advise that you avoid using insecticides made from chemical compounds around your home. This is because they can be dangerous to your health and environment, and also not safe to use around kids and pets.
It is always best to make your own organic home-made fly spray with or without essential oils just to keep you and your family safe.
Differences between Organic and Chemical Fly Spray.
We have put together a few differences between fly spray made from organic materials and those made from chemical compounds.
- Organic fly sprays are more eco-friendly compared to those made from chemical compounds. This is because they are made from all-natural ingredients that are safe to the plants and other micro-organisms in the environment.
- Sprays made from chemical compound are toxic and can affect your respiratory and nervous system.
- The use of chemical fly spray can cause skin irritation and can lead to irritations in the eyes.
- Using chemical sprays in homes where there are kids and pets can lead to serious problems with their brain and also cause poisoning if swallowed.
- The ingredients for home-made spray are readily available for purchase in local stores where groceries and cooking ingredients are sold.
The Best Natural Home-made Fly Spray without Essential Oil
You can protect yourself and your family from diseases that are transmitted by insects such as mosquitoes by simply making use of ingredients that are readily available in your home. We have provided you with recipes that you can easily make in your kitchen in a few minutes. We have divided them according to the ingredients used in making the homemade fly spray so you should check the one that suits you best.
Home-made Fly Spray Recipe with Fresh Herbs
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint herbs. You can use finely chopped peppermint or spearmint herbs.
- 6 tablespoon of finely chopped citronella or lavender. You can also make use of catnips and cloves.
- 1 cup of distilled water. You can also boil a cup of water and allow it to cool.
- 1 cup of alcohol or witch hazel. When using alcohol, I advise you make use of vodka.
- A spray bottle. You will need this to store your home-made spray.
How to Make
Pour the cup of water and add the fresh herbs in a saucepan and heat. Cover the pan and allow the water to boil for a few minutes. After boiling, leave the mixture to cool and then strain the herbs out of the pan. You should squeeze out the excess water in the herb so as not to waste any of the liquid.
Once you have collected the liquid, add the cup of alcohol and mix it thoroughly. You can turn the mixture into your spray bottle and store it in a cool dry place until you are ready to use it.
Homemade Fly Spray Recipe Using Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 5 tablespoon of distilled water. You can also boil the water and allow it to cool.
- 5 oz of baby oil.
- A squeezable tube or glass jar.
How to Make
Add all the ingredients in the glass jar and mix properly. The resulting mixture will be thick like a lotion due to the vanilla extract and baby oil. This is completely normal. But if you want the mixture to be lighter, you will need to add more water. But ensure that you add a few drops of vanilla extract and baby oil to balance the ingredients. You can keep adding water until you achieve your desired consistency. After which you can now pour the mixture into your squeezable tube and store in a cool dry place.
Homemade Fly Spray Recipe Using Basil
- Half bunch of fresh basil. Chop the leaves to fine pieces.
- Half cup of vodka
- Half cup of water. You can boil the water and allow it to cool.
- A glass or spray bottle.
How to Make
Add the fresh basil and water in a pan. Heat the water for a few minutes and allow it to cool. Cover the pan and leave the contents steep for up to 4 hours. Squeeze out excess water from the herb into the saucepan. You can then add the vodka to the mix and stir properly. Transfer the mixture to the spray bottle and store in a cool dry place.
Other Potent Alternatives to Essential Oil
You can also make your home free from insects without using essential oils by simply planting insect-repellent plants around your living space. You can plant catnips, citronella, and lavender in areas of the home that are prone to insects. Some of the best plants you can cultivate for this purpose include clove, rosemary, tea tree, peppermint, basil, marigolds, lemongrass, and mums.
We understand that insects are a big menace to outdoor relaxation which is why we highly suggest that you use insect repellant plants in places outside the home where you sit and relax. You can also plant them in pots and keep them along walkways and patios to limit fly and other insects.
Your home-made fly spray without essential oil is easy to make by simply following any of the methods we have outlined above.
How do you take care of insects in your home? do you use chemical spray or essential oil? We will like to hear from you in the comment section.