What you need to destroy effectively those microorganisms that may be lurking and reproducing at your home are chemicals powerful enough to eliminate them. One example is Mrs. Meyer’s cleaner. But the question is, is Mrs. Meyers non-toxic to humans, pets and plants?
The kitchen and the bathroom, encounter more activity than any part of the house. In those places, many organisms are widely spread either carried from the outside like bringing in ingredients bought or produced from the inside. Since they are to be used regularly, to achieve cleanliness, a damp cloth is not enough.
To explore further, we will be further learning about the term ‘toxicity’. Toxicity refers to the measure of the harmfulness of a certain compound or element if it has been taken in by the organism’s body. The level of how toxic a material depends on the body composition of the organism.
For example, a bar of chocolate is safe for us humans to the point that we love it a lot. However, if a dog eats just a piece of chocolate, it can die immediately, depending on the amount taken and the duration of intake. This is because the dog’s internal systems react violently to the chocolate, causing harm to most of the organs and give out.
Types of Toxicity for Humans
The types of toxic materials for humans can be according to the medium or carrier, and according to the manifestation of the harmful effects under the duration of exposure.
According to the Carrier:
They can spread or grow in numbers. They can access in any medium, either through the air or physical contact, and can cause immediate reactions like infections or silently building up damage. A nonliving biologically toxic material that microorganisms produce is called ‘toxins’ while the one produced by animals is called ‘Venom’.
These are the substances that are naturally harmful or harmless at first but became dangerous when reacted to another substance chemically combined. The naturally harmful chemicals are lead, mercury, and hydrofluoric acid to name a few. Examples of substances that become toxic when manufactured are methyl alcohol and illegal drugs.
They are nonliving materials that are normally harmless in the surroundings but can cause harm when being carelessly inhaled, consumed or contacted through the skin. Coal dust, silicon dioxide, sleeping gas, alcoholic drinks, and even water can be toxic if taken with amounts large enough for the body’s system to collapse.
The sources wherein exposure to radiation is toxic are from radioactive materials, since they naturally contain excessive amounts of potential energy and are unstable. The energy emanating is so much that it can alter the composition of matter wherein living cells can quickly deteriorate.
According to the Duration of Exposure:
This refers to the harm caused by the toxic material when exposed once or a short period. There is something called ‘lethal dose’ where it indicates how much volume consumed or taken can lead you to instant death.
This refers to the capability of the toxic material to cause damage with exposure for more than a year but not longer than a noticeable life stage period. These can be subtle destroyers such as the popular toxins from vices like cigars, alcoholic drinks, and illegal drugs.
This refers to the capability of the toxic material to cause damage after continuous exposure that can last an entire stage in life or even throughout the lifetime. These can be often overlooked since the harm was tolerable enough to get one surviving through a longer period. They can come from unnoticeable sources like the surrounding air or obvious sources such as radiation from the sun.
The Measure of Toxicity for Humans
To test for toxicity, medical laboratory materials and scientific skills are needed. For unsuspecting consumers who just want safe products, you can get information from simple research.
As mentioned, a common measurement of toxicity is the lethal dosage scale. It examines how much volume of that material is enough to cause instant death or trigger effects wherein a vital part of the body will collapse immediately and soon death will follow shortly.
Another measure is using a scale for parts per million. This is a practical approach to evaluating toxic particles, which can spread on basic needs like water, ingredients for food and the atmosphere.
Is Mrs. Meyers Non-Toxic?
Components of Mrs. Meyer Cleaners
Most toxic materials are labeled accordingly. However, they don’t include common items that are not naturally toxic. To assess the toxicity of Mrs. Meyer’s cleaners, we will analyze their contents and the capabilities to cause harm.
Mrs. Meyer’s products range from soaps to detergents and cleaners. Among the products, the more potent materials can be found on the cleaners, since they are expected to create reactions on hard surfaces compared to the soaps where skin contact is a priority and detergents where clothes are cared for.
Chemicals found that can raise concerns are Methylisothiazolinone and Glycerin. The use of Methylisothiazolinone is to be a preservative, meaning it improves shelf life. The Glycerin also improves shelf life for the extracts and enzymes. You can find Ethanol in their products, which is a naturally toxic material, for uses of fragrance and preservative.
Out of the concern-raising chemicals, glycerin seems to be the lowest in toxicity and can be deemed as safe, granted you have no allergies and sensitivities to it. The preservative Methylisothiazolinone can cause respiratory issues and allergies. There are many other compounds bounded to ethanol that can either lower the harm it naturally causes or none at all.
Is Mrs. Meyers safe? The most controversial of the chemicals in the ingredient labeled ‘fragrance’. Mrs. Meyer’s products have a fragrant smell but these substances that constitute can be various in forms. They are plenty to identify that if each one of the fragrant-causing substance is a mild health concern, then all of them accumulated is a major concern.
The ingredients may be labeled as ‘natural’ but it doesn’t mean the product is non-toxic. Recall that there are naturally occurring chemicals that are already toxic. To be fairly safe, you can consider some alternatives to Mrs. Meyer’s cleaners.
You can consider the Bon Ami Powder Cleanser. It appears like a baking soda but it is non-abrasive on the surfaces and even safe to use without a mask.
Another recommended substitute is the Biokleen Bac-Out Bathroom Cleaner. It is a plant-based cleaner with no artificial fragrances and preservatives added.
Overall, Mrs. Meyer’s cleaners may be safe but they are NOT non-toxic. They can irritate and on long-term constant usages, it might pose a health risk due to the ambiguous ‘fragrance’. For recommended alternatives, here are cleaners from Bon Ami and Biokleen.
If you want to select a non-toxic material, be sure to:
- Check familiar ingredients that are reported to cause health concerns
- Read reviews about the possible harm from the duration of exposure.
- Point out marketing phrases that raise confusion on its legitimacy.
For more questions, feel free to comment.